Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Fine Example from the Top

I was just watching the news on the television. They were showing President Obama signing the new health care reform flim flam. He had a whole row of pens next to him and it looked like he would make a little mark, switch to a new pen, another mark, another pen, and so on. At first I was confused, why would it take so many pens to just sign his name, its not that long, after all. Then it hit me. He was saving money by using every last drop of ink out of a pen. He must have started a pen recycling initiative around the White House. He was signing his name using the absolute lastest bit of ink available before throwing a pen out. This kind of frugality is admirable in a leader during a time of economic turmoil, recession or depression, whichever you prefer. I for one applaud the president for being a good example of conserving resources while signing a 939 billion dollar bill into law...oh, wait, this just in...he wasn't conserving ink! He was creating souvenirs for his cronies, you know aunt Nancy and uncle Harry! Boy was I wrong! Ha ha ha ha. Well, signing your name with 20 different pens to hand out to your friends is good too, just put the cost of the souvenir pens on the tab, I'll pay it off eventually, yeah, don't sweat it, at $50,000 per year annually, minus 35% for taxes (including the Social Security I'll never reap any benefit from) and minus my own cost of living I ought to be able to pay back the $939 billion in approximately, lets see, carry the 1 (million), by my estimation, I'll be able to pay that back never. Keep the pens coming, pass around the champagne, too. Drink up politicians, you represent us, and we can't afford the festivities, so you just go ahead and represent our celebrations. I know Nancy will celebrate on our behalf, no matter what it takes, she'll pole vault over the fence, parachute in, whatever, she'll "represent" us. It is great to have an honest bunch of folks who take their position of responsibility seriously in representing the great people of our country. They want nothing more than to provide the best life for all of us. Unfortunately after all these years of letting freedom and liberty ring, they have a lot of work to do to "clean up" the messes. We don't need to worry, this crack team of civil engineers will soon have us all enjoying our natural rights: the right to own a home bigger and better than anyone else's, the right to a college education, the right to a job, the right to full coverage of health care and the right to food, to name a few. With rights like these who needs enemies? I say, if having a house and food and health care are my rights, then bag the education and job rights, I'll just take the first three.
To sum up, I don't know enough about this health care reform, but what I do know about it sounds sketchy. I am leery of an overpowering government. When you take responsibility away from an individual, bad things happen. If I'm not responsible to work in order to provide myself with the necessities of life, then why would I ever want to work. This leads to a feeling that I am entitled to what I need, then the entitlement spills over into the realm of what I want. Then someday I don't get what I want and I don't know how to deal with that, so I take what I want. Maybe that is drastic thinking, but it is my opinion that the greatest evil people face is that of getting something for nothing. It is a terrible way of thinking that I am owed anything just for being. I think it is too easy to condition someone to become dependent. If the government continuously hands things out to people who don't have to do anything more than stand in line for, dependency will develop. I don't like where that seems to lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment