Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Extry, Extry, Read All About It

I like to read my school's newspaper because I like to feel frustration. Irresponsibility and disrespect really get my goat up. I never typed that phrase before, but that's how it sounds when people say it. I don't know if it is actually goat, or something that sounds like it, maybe a word that isn't commonly used anymore. I digress. Disrespect and so forth really bother me, so I always get worked up when I read the ridiculous things in the school paper. Sometimes there are legitimate articles that are on topics that make me want to role my eyes and ask why? We are constantly told by administration and such that we shouldn't spend so much time on electronic devices, i.e. texting. Then the paper has an article talking about the many wonders of cell phones and texting. It even gave a list of helpful "text speak." Maybe it is just me feeling that way. Granted, the school paper is not the voice of the school administration, necessarily, there just seems to be some incongruities in it. Some of the other topics lead me to think that as well, but I don't want to go into the details, you'll just have to take my word for it.
Possibly the most recurring theme in the paper is the topic of jaywalking. I don't get it. Crosswalk, use it or don't. Apparently, so says the paper today, jaywalking isn't illegal in this town. OK. Case closed. Do it or don't, it is your call. You cross the road and get hit, it's your own fault, regardless of whether there is any white paint under your feet at the time. When you are the smaller of two objects vying for the same space, it is your responsibility to yield to the larger. When I say responsibility, I mean common sense. I mean it is your basic instinct of survival that ought to tell you not to step in front of a moving vehicle. Crosswalk, light, stop sign, whatever. If you step in front of that vehicle and it doesn't stop, it is your fault. Maybe not legally, but rationally and logically. That being said, jaywalk all you want if it isn't illegal, but don't expect the cars to stop for you. Idiot.
What spurred this topic for a post was a quote I read in the paper today. A speaker at one of those academic pep rally type things. Some kind of lecture to students about stuff. That's what I gathered from the picture and title of the article. I didn't read it. I mostly scan and read the highlighted quotes that are in the little boxes. This specific one said "Don't think because you walk out of here with a degree that you are better than [other people]." Was it necessary to give that reminder? Maybe I should go back and see who the audience was for this. How could this be a necessary statement to make to anyone at the college level? Who reaches 20 or so years old and thinks, "I'll get a college degree and then I'll be better than people who don't have one"? Has this generation become so perverted through ideas of entitlement and instant gratification that they honestly think they are better than others because of their level of education? It bothers me that that had to be said. Maybe it didn't need to be said, maybe the audience who heard it all felt how I'm feeling now, when they heard it? Either way, it was said, it was reported in the paper, I read it, and it frustrated me.
In another pop out quote a person said the Rosetta stone, while being just a stone, is kind of like the Mona Lisa of stones. No joke, though I wish it were. This one, for me, is up there with the quote from a few months ago, in regards to the barbershop music show on campus, the person said "Barbershop seems like a really crunk way to spend the evening." Poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment