Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nothing Like Pain to Inspire a Blog Post

In roughly two minutes the time will be {ding} 3:00 AM. It has been only 4 months since the last time I had a post like this. I believe it was Christmas eve when I awoke in the middle of the night with some malady or other that prevented sleep. It has happened once again. Only this time, medicine has now all but eliminated any pain and discomfiture. I probably ought to sleep for the remaining 3 hours before my usual wake up time, but I've already turned my computer on and opened this page and started typing.
It was midnight-thirty when I first looked at the time after waking up with a horrible (pronounced "har-uh-bull") headache. Unlike any head pain I have ever experienced before. Centralized to the back of my head, just above my neck. Cerebellum area, if you are so inclined and oriented. The pain was bad, but I remained in a sleep-like state for about an hour. Sometime after 1:30 I was fully awake.
I debated in my head for several minutes if this was an ER type headache or not. I don't know much about headaches, or medical stuff in general, but I know that headaches sometimes are indicators of some serious problems. Add in the fact that this one came on suddenly, woke me up, and didn't have any obvious influencer (as in a cartoonish mallet to the head), and you've got the recipe for me being terrified that I'm about to pick up a hospital bill for 2 grand to get my brain scanned. I rationalized that if it got to the point of going to the hospital then I would go, after all, it is better to be in debt than to be interred.
I debated a bit and then took some Aleve. Another hour of agony left me wondering if it was then time to go to the ER. I put some socks on in preparation of going. I also texted Muffin Man because he lives in Hawaii and it was only evening time for him. He replied, but couldn't talk because he was out running the "Hawaii Five-O," a local charity 5k run. Even though he was in a charity run he still returned my text message, that's friendship! I offered some words of encouragement to get him through the mid-run doldrums and then decided I'd check out Facebook.
I read a few comments, made a few comments, and then decided to write this post. Somewhere in that process the pain in my head finally began to dissipate. A warm, almost soothing sensation has taken its place. Also, whereas sleep had fled my eyes for the duration of the pain, it has now returned. Since I have no real message to convey here, and the pain that was preventing sleep is now over, I suppose I will go back to bed.
To quote a classic, "it's too late to say good night, so Good Mornin'!"

2 comments:

  1. My specialty is headaches in the front of the head, behind the eyes especially. For headache in the back of the head, I think you have to resort to a grievance with the One who does not heed enough of my advice. Ad hommino et hommini sit Deus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't know latin, but I think it says something about man and God. I hope it is good. And I did ask for the pain to be alleviated and it was, when I did the rest of my part and took Alleve. And I haven't had it any worse, so I feel like my request of assistance was honored. Sometimes we just need to look deeper, work harder, and be more reasonable in our requests. He knows what is best for our long term accomplishment. He is the gardener here. http://lds.org/new-era/1973/01/the-currant-bush?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete