Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Is E.T.:The Extra Terrestrial a Christ figure?

I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel about Nostradamus this morning. They were talking about the old days when Nostradamus was roaming the streets of France and the Catholic church was taking names and exiling Jews. The Nostradamus family converted from Judaism to Catholicism in order to avoid being kicked out of France, or worse (personally, I don't see what would be so bad about being kicked out of France, but perhaps the health care and economy weren't so bad over there 500 years ago). If my facts here are out of place, please correct me. I'm repeating what I heard on television and what I've gathered from a quick web search. Anyhow, in the program they showed lots of 16th century art type stuff. There was one statue of Christ, pointing to his chest where his robe was pulled back to reveal a heart with a cross sprouting from it. This made me think of E.T.
In high school I had an English teacher who was constantly pointing out the types of Christ that would appear in various works. The one I remember her talking about the most is the main character from Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. Had I read the entire book I might have more to say about this particular character. All I remember about it is that his initials were J.C. There were other books she cited to support the claim that many works of literature featured a type of Christ. I can see it in various stories. Hercules with his god-father and mortal mother. Aslan from C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. Lucas' Star Wars is rife with allusions to Christianity. Now I am adding E.T. to the list...

The rest of this post can be found in the Ajax's Whimsical Revolution ebook for Amazon's Kindle. The book is a compilation of my favorite posts, 78 to be exact, of which this is one. If you don't have a Kindle e-reader you can download the free Amazon Kindle app for PC or Mac.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you know what you are doing? Yes, you are analyzing a film from a specific perspective. Do you know what literature-types do when analyzing a work, that same thing. We do it all the time. We pull crazy conclusions from work despite what the author intended. Well done, Paul. Well done. I am so very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and E.T. came to eat candy, no question. Though, I feel that his parents were botanists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this post can touch one person enough for them to leave two comments, it is a success. Your second comment is as concise and precise a movie synopsis as I have ever read. Kudos to you and thanks.

    ReplyDelete