Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Monday, September 6, 2010

Take a Hike

I have come to the realization that the kindest people in the world have something in common, other than that they are all kind, they like to hike. This is the only explanation I can conceive. I went hiking with some friends today; every time we passed someone on the trail they said "hi," "hello," "how's it going?" or "nice view at the top?" A few days ago I went to the store and no one even made eye contact with me. I wondered about why this is (I honestly don't think that the kindest people in the world all hike, nor do I think that all hikers are kind). I did exaggerate, there were a few people who didn't offer a greeting until after I did, and others who didn't say a word (in which cases neither did I). The best I can come up with is that there is a sense of unity on the trail. A common purpose and interest brought us all together. Friendship is bred of commonality. Or perhaps it is a sense of awkward fear of the unknown that generates a desire to unite. When you are out in the woods away from society and our learned safety zones and features (witnesses, cameras, police officers, cell phone service, etc.) you might be a bit scared. You test the other hikers by offering a greeting. If they respond you consider them safe and feel at ease. For me, I think I offer greetings on the hiking trail because of the closeness. If I don't say hi they will know it. It is the opposite of the diffusion of responsibility phenomenon. I'm the only one there, so I have to say hello. There isn't a crowd to absorb the responsibility of offering a greeting. I guess the real question would be why do I feel the need to say hello on the trail, or better yet, why do I keep typing trial instead of trail. I've noticed it a few times so far, but I might not have caught it everything, and spell check won't catch it, so if you saw it and were confused, that's the story. What was I saying? Its not important. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment