Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Don't Want to Work or Bang on a Drum All Day, Now What?

If not for my love of modern convenience and comfort, such as Subway, deodorant and hot water indoor plumbing, I think I'd like to be a 19th century farmer. Since returning home from college almost two months ago I have been able to spend a lot of time outside cutting weeds, trees and anything else that grows and belongs to the plant kingdom. I've been digging up and relocating dirt to areas where it is more beneficial. It has been great. I love working outside, even when it is 85 degrees (Fahrenheit, in case you are reading from outside the U.S.) and super humid. I don't mind sweating, I just drink a lot of Gatorade and water. I haven't really worried about money, I have a little in the bank and my parents aren't charging me to live with them. I suppose if we worked it out I'm paying rent through my grounds keeping labor. But we aren't keeping score. The point is that I haven't had to pay attention to money. It has been nice. I looked at my bank balances today and realized that I need to get back into the job seeking. I don't mind working, I like to work, but looking for work is what I mind. Employers want schooling and work experience. I have both, but not on the same topic. And in most cases neither my schooling or my work experience match what I'm looking to do now. So then what? In a perfect world maybe my schooling, experience and work interests would all line up, but they currently don't. I don't want to just bang on a drum all day, I don't even want to strum my guitar all day, a few hours is nice, not even hours, maybe one. I'd really like to do something beneficial and functional though. I want to contribute. And get paid. But only because if I don't get paid I don't eat. Like I alluded to earlier, I don't want to go back to 19th century farming. Did I not allude to that? I probably misused the word. Don't sweat it. I don't want to go back to farm days, but I would like to have more survivability on an individual level. I guess that isn't possible without giving up toothpaste and Gatorade.
I just looked back up at the title of this post and realize that I contradicted it quite nicely. When I typed that I don't want to work it was in reference to my distaste of the job searching. So to clear that up, I do like to work, and I do want to work, I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of not having a job and then looking for one and getting it. Forget it, the title just doesn't work with my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment