Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Squirrel vs. Crow and Vincent Van Gogh

Today I saw a friend on campus and stopped to talk. While we were standing there chatting I saw a crow land on a car and a squirrel run under it. Then the squirrel ran away and the crow flew after it. A week or so ago I saw from my window the same interaction. A crow dove at a squirrel who ran away and then the crow flew in front of the squirrel and cut him off. I'll give them names to aid in my story. The crow is William and the squirrel is Reggie. So William cuts off Reggie's retreat. Now the two are face to face in the grass. They charged each other, honestly. William flying and Reggie running, right at each other, and then collision! Unfortunately they scampered off behind a tree and out of my field of vision. That was then. Back to today, another squirrel and crow fighting and chasing, just across the street from where I saw William and Reggie. I have no alternative other than to believe that the actors today were the same William and Reggie. I was talking to my friend and saw the interaction at the car so I stopped talking and started walking so I could get a better view. All I was able to watch was William flying above Reggie as he ran across the street and they bounced around a bit then Reggie ran up a tree and I lost sight again. It was an amazing sight.
I once had a similar experience with a crow. The location was Ft. Hood, TX. Between my barracks and the shopette was the Battalion HQ. A sidewalk brought me from the parking lot, past the HQ, and to the street. I cross the street and there is the shopette. The HQ was a long building, not very deep, but wide. That building stands on the right, when walking to the shopette, of the sidewalk. There was a huge tree on the left. On top of the building was a large antenna for radio comms. It was from the perch of the antenna that the crow would attack. And attack he did. I was swooped several times in one week while walking over to the shopette. I'd just be walking and then I could hear the woosh of the huge bird's wings and then his feathers graze my head. I duck and cover my head with my arms like I was in legitimate danger, and look like an idiot. I know that's how I looked because one day I saw this bird attack someone else, and he looked like an idiot. Anyway, several times this happened. I assumed the bird lived in the tree and was mad about all the soldiers walking by. So it took to the skies and maintained air superiority over us. I told my friends and we laughed about it. One day Simms comes in and says he killed the bird. I never believed him, but I never saw the bird again, either. I always thought he thought I was imagining the bird and he told me he killed it just so I wouldn't have to worry anymore. I'll never know. This is one time I should probably read this over again and see if it makes sense, but I refuse to do that.
What about van Gogh in the title? I opened my text book to do an assignment and there is van Gogh's self portrait painting. The chapter is on mood disorders and suicide.
P.S. Barney Frank is a weird dude. I don't trust him as far as that crazy crow could throw him.

No comments:

Post a Comment