Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Forbes.com April Fools Joke Two Months Late

Well, that's what I thought when I read an article in my school's newspaper this week. Our school was ranked pretty highly on the Forbes "America's Best Colleges" list. Maybe it was an oversight on the part of the school paper article writer, or maybe it was clever propaganda, but a vital piece of information (in my opinion) was missing. A vital piece of information which I will reveal later in this post, first I will rant and rave a bit. Reading the short write-up on this list I was surprised at the criteria used to rank the colleges. I'm not a certified researcher, but I know a little bit about research, and some of the criteria which make for credible sources of information. Well, I'll just copy and paste the methods section from http://bestcollegerankings.org/popular-rankings/forbes-college-rankings/ which describes how the rankings were compiled:
Methodology: In conjunction with Dr. Richard Vedder, an economist at Ohio
University, and the Center for College Affordability and Productivity
(CCAP), Forbes inaugurated its first ranking of America’s Best Colleges in 2008.
They based 25 percent of their rankings on seven million student evaluations of
courses and instructors, as recorded on the Web site RateMyProfessors.com. Another 25 percent depended upon how many of the school’s alumni, adjusted for enrollment, are listed among the notable people in Who’s Who in America. The other half of the ranking was based equally on three factors: the average amount of student debt at graduation held by those who borrowed; the percentage of students graduating in four years; and the number of students or faculty, adjusted for enrollment, who have won nationally competitive awards like Rhodes Scholarships or Nobel Prizes. CCAP ranked only the top 15 percent or so of all undergraduate
institutions.

This was also quoted in my school paper, so I read the same thing. My initial thinking was rate my professor? Are you kidding me, Forbesy? I'm not a user of ratemyprofessors.com, but I've heard a lot about it. I will go there now and find a few examples of why I don't view this source as credible for a Forbes list. (These examples are straight from the website, I haven't corrected or manipulated any of it)

Example 1: He is a ding doing, he is not clear on the things he wants, he DOES NOT LIKE TEACHING, you can totally tell he is there just for the money. You have stupid PR's the is due every day almost and its just busy work, you get more done from
the tutor than the class, don't even bother going to class, its a wast of time.
But i had to take it.

Example 2: is the best dressed in the department for sure. Has a style that is comparable to that of individuals like elton john/pablo escobar. Class is easy if you are paying attention. super helpful when you ask, but you have to ask, he wont just give you handouts.


Example 3: This class was very easy. You don't need to go to class, but it's a good idea because she does give out extra quizzes and worksheets. Tests are easy; everything comes straight from the text book. She wasn't helpful, however.
I don't really recommend taking this course from her.

Example 4: Go to class, listen, skim through the online material and its an
easy A. He is hilarious and keeps class interesting. Don't know if I learned a
lot, but it made me think more and improve opinions on certain subjects.

That took longer than expected. I decided that since I was there I might as well see what the students are saying about some professors. It served to make me view the website as even less credible than I expected based on hearsay. I do like the way that all of the comments read like you are listening to broken English spoken by a stereotyped foreigner on a campy sit-com. So, 25% of the Forbes ranking was based on this website? Doesn't that seem like a bogus source for such a ranking?
It isn't the only ridiculous sounding criteria to make the list of America's best colleges. The two other factors that made me question the validity of the list were "accumulated debt" and "percentage of students who graduate within four years." How do these factors make a "best" college? Just because something is cheap and quick doesn't make it the best. I'll let you supply your own analogy for this statement. I'll just say that the Hot and Ready deal from Little Caesar's is cheap and quick, but wouldn't even rate on my "best pizza in America list," ever (there really is no list, I have one pizza place on that list, Vinny's, formerly Kendall Park Pizza and Subs, formerly Dominick's. 7 Allston Road, Kendall Park, NJ 08824. It is number one partly for nostalgia and partly because it is the source of some of the finest pizza I've ever had). I understand that it is nice to have an affordable school, and I love the fact that my attendance here for the two and a half years it is taking me to obtain my B.S. will cost about the same as one year at most other schools, but do these factors really warrant the title of "best college?"
The article in the school paper really made me question Forbes' integrity. Until I went to the Forbes website: http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/02/best-colleges-ratings-opinions-ranking-2009_land.html Right there in the heading it says "from the student's point of view." OK! That I can get behind. If only the school paper would have said that in the first place. I wouldn't have gotten all indignant. Had I read that this list with its ridiculous criteria was "from the student's point of view" I would have just turned the page and forgotten about it. I am a bit hostile and confrontational. I am very stubborn in my opinions. Maybe I'm the only one who thought this whole list thing was unbelievable. It is possible that I am the only one who read about this in the school paper and thought there was something amiss. It isn't far fetched to believe that most people are "true to their school," as the Beach Boys sang about being. I'm true to some of the professors I've had, to the friends I've made and to my interests and efforts in learning. I am not a fan of institutional education or so-called "big government" so I find it difficult to fully submit to campus culture. And after my two and a half years here I found it hard to believe that our little university would rank in the top 20% out of 600 national schools.
I guess if I am going to degrade the rating system I ought to suggest a rating system that I would find more favorable in determining the best colleges in America. But this is my blog, if you don't like my methods you don't have to read. It is a lovely arrangement. I would suggest grades as an indicator of a good school, but I'm familiar with the term "grade inflation" and I know that only a year or so ago the professors at this school were notified that the average grade given out was an 'A', and asked to address that issue. When 'A' is average, what is 'B'? How about 'C'? So while grades might indicate a good school, it isn't a trustworthy criterion. Maybe the degrees held by the professors could be used as a rank factor? But I would question that one as well. If there is any factor I would readily accept it would be how "hireable" a graduate of the school is. Even then, there are so many other variables at play. I don't think there is an objective way to measure schools. Maybe if there was a standardized test like the SAT, but better constructed, that was given to all graduating students? The scores of this test could be used to determine the level of learning of the students. But then again, how many standardized tests are perfect?
Maybe the real issue isn't about how to rate the schools, but about why we feel the need to rate the schools. Elitism is nasty, but isn't it the reason why we rate? Move over hypertension, we've got a new silent killer in town, elitist pride. I suppose this is enough for one post.

Here is a link to the total list from Forbes (who I have pardoned from all accusations of making a shoddy list; as long as they say "from the student's point of view" I have no beef with their methods. I'm sure that will help them sleep easier tonight).
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/94/colleges-09_Americas-Best-Colleges_Rank.html

No comments:

Post a Comment