Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's About Time

Last night I typed about the thunderstorm. Today in class the professor commented about the storm, asking something to the effect of "how about that storm last night, eh?" Someone from the back of the room said, "it's about time!" Was it about time? I hadn't noticed there was an expected rate of occurrence for thunderstorms, or that we were behind schedule in that department. I'm not trying to attack the comment, I just thought it was different. You don't usually hear people enacting deadlines on nature (unless it is from children expecting snow on Christmas, or on the due date of a heavy school assignment).
I wish I knew who said it, so I could find out why. Perhaps he is an avid Weather channel watcher and they predicted a thunderstorm for the day prior. Maybe he expected the storm on Monday night, leaving him understandably let down when no rain fell. Perhaps he waited all day Tuesday expecting dark clouds to form and those first few drops of rain to fall. Every time a large truck or motorcycle drove by he ran to his window to find the source of the rumbling. He was living in anticipation of the thunderstorm right from the minute he heard it announced by the Weather channel forecaster. It is possible that he went to bed Monday night with slightly less faith in the forecaster. If this were the case, then I'd support his "it's about time!" whole-heartedly. Unrealized expectations are never encouraging.
This is all just speculation, though, for all I know he had promised a friend that he would stop eating Lucky Charms (his favorite "complete breakfast" component, which he ate everyday) until the next thunderstorm. He made the agreement hastily after the friend accused him of being addicted to the "magically delicious" meal, never thinking it would be however long it wound up being between thunderstorms. Regardless of how long it was, it was too long. He loves his Lucky Charms cereal, a product of General Mills.
I'm done with that rain story now. I had to check on the supplier of Lucky Charms (I wasn't sure if it was General Mills or Post, though I was leaning towards GM) so I went to Wikipedia; I wouldn't trust it as a source for school papers, but for cereal and blogging? I think it'll do fine. I read the article on the cereal and have become adequately distracted so as to move on from my previous story.
What I learned about the cereal is that Brach's Circus Peanut candy marshmallows played a role in its creation. Unbelievable. I never thought anything good could come from those things. I may have enjoyed them years ago, when candy was candy, but today I can't get into them. It's not an awful candy, but it just isn't the best in my opinion. There are a lot of other candies I'd select before Circus Peanuts. I was surprised by this historical discovery. Another interesting piece of information is that the marshmallow bits in Lucky Charms are referred to as marbits, at least for the purposes of the Wikipedia entry. I will assume that marbits is the technical term for the pieces (which make up 25% of the volume of a box of the cereal) used by those in the industry at the Lucky Charms factory. I think the next time I see someone eating Lucky Charms I will use the word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Charms
http://www.luckycharms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment