Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Album Review: The '59 Sound


Artist: The Gaslight Anthem
Album: The '59 Sound
Label: Side One Dummy Records
Release Date: August 2008
Muffin Man clued me in to this band about a week ago. He sent me a link for their video for the song "Great Expectations" off the above named album, their second. The band is about to release their third effort in just a few days, June 15 to be exact. The new album is called American Slang and is available for pre-release streaming from Rolling Stone @ http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player.php?xmlData=example_files/xml/music_player_data.xml
I'm listening to it now and it is sounding great. The '59 Sound is what I've been listening to non-stop for the last three or four days though, so I'll say a little more about that one.
The Gaslight Anthem is from New Brunswick, NJ. I grew up in South Brunswick, so I feel some township of origin relationship with them. My interest in the band is more than just native pride. The music is rock and roll at its finest. I like music that makes me feel something. Listening to the songs on this album makes me nostalgic for a time I never experienced. It is blue jeans and white t-shirts, muscle cars and nights at the Jersey shore. Blue-collar work ethic and day-to-day living. I haven't paid enough attention to the lyrics of all of the songs yet to know what is really being said, but these are the things I feel from it. There is an obvious feeling of the glory days and days gone by. I think the struggles of life are discussed, but without making you depressed. There is something hopeful in the overall sound of the album. It is romantic. Not Valentine's Day romantic, but American Dream romantic.
Well, it is obvious that I am not a music review writing guy. I play the guitar though, and I've played in a band, and I grew up in NJ. I can't clearly tell you why this album is necessary for you to listen to, but it is. I recommend that you don't eat anything for the rest of the day and instead use that money to buy this album. It is on iTunes for $9.99. You can thank me later. After you thank me I will pass your appreciation on to Muffin Man, the best music recommender out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment