Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Friday, June 18, 2010

Album Review: It's a Beautiful Day

Album: It's a Beautiful Day
Artist: Jordan Tait
Label: unsigned
Release Date: June 2010
I think I made it clear that I am not a musical review type person, not a good one anyway. I'm going to try again, however, to review an album in an effort to promote the music of a fine fellow. The one over in that picture, who looks like that young upstart from Tennessee, the one with the sideburns and guitar. Elvis. Well, Tait doesn't actually look like Elvis, nor sound like Elvis, nor weigh as much as Elvis (I don't know that for sure, if we plotted each of their weights at certain ages, perhaps there would be a similarity at some point). What Tait does do like Elvis is write and play some solid songs. Did Elvis write his own music? Someone check that out for me. He must have written some of those songs, but I know he played other people's songs as well, everyone back then did. Tait writes his own songs, four songs on this self-produced album, It's a Beautiful Day. I didn't intend for this review to become a competition with Elvis, but for some reason it has, so this "writing his own songs" bit gives Tait one point, he takes the lead over Elvis for the time being (I think Elvis will gain some points back when we look at album sales, movies made, gold records, countries toured, etc.).
Enough about Elvis, let's talk Beautiful Day. The four song album is upbeat and comfortable. Tait has a familiar sounding voice (for me that's because I've known him for two years) that doesn't try to be anyone else's voice. Calling his voice ordinary sounds like an attack, but that's not how I intend it. When I say ordinary I mean that it lacks pretentiousness, which is a good thing. He doesn't try to sing beyond what he is capable of singing. Again, I'm not a reviewing guy, so I don't know how to say these things in the musical jargon, bottom line is that he's got a voice that's nice to listen to.
Musically, I like the songs. Tait's guitar playing is clean. The tracks are acoustic, guitar and piano. Again, the voice and instrumentation fit. You might be inclined to compare the sound to Jack Johnson, but I wouldn't, because I don't know much of that guy's music. I think it's a similar style though. Along with piano, there is also whistling, keyboard-marimba, egg shaker-ing, background vocal "oooh's", and some good old fashioned clicking. Like I said about the vocals, nothing pretentious, just solid songs with insert-descriptive-word here lyrics. I'll keep this review vague (and confusing) because I don't want to give everything away, then what point would there be in you listening to the songs?
The album is available on iTunes right now. You can also check it out at: http://www.myspace.com/jordantaitmusic
Final score: Tait - 83, Elvis - 926.



No comments:

Post a Comment