Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Embark on a Life of Weapons Manufacturing

Tell me if this isn't brilliant. Wait! I just remembered something else I was thinking about typing yesterday, so I will tell that story and then follow it up with what is brilliant, or what you will be the judge about whether it is brilliant or not.
Interjected story! Yesterday I was eating a sandwich with pickles and tomato and so forth. You know what? I don't think this story is going to work, I only remember bits of it, not the punch-line though. I was trying to remember when I was typing up that last post, and then once I started this one I remembered part of it so I thought I had it. Now as I try to type it out I realize that the serial-position curve is rearing its ugly head. Thanks to the primacy effect I remember the beginning to the story. The recency (relatively speaking) effect helps me remember the end of the story, but I don't know what's going on in the middle, which is what makes it meaningful. It was something about how useful I find paper towels to be. We don't have any right now and I spilled some stuff on the chair in the kitchen. I reached for the next best thing, a pot-holder, and soaked up the spilled liquid. I think the purpose of the story was that while paper towels are helpful around the house, they can be substituted. Pot-holders might not be the typical substitute, but it worked for me. After I did that I thought that perhaps toilet paper would have been a better substitute. Then I thought of how paper towels are easily replaced, but toilet paper not as easily replaced. I usually stay away from these topics in public conversation, it doesn't seem proper. However, in this case the possibility of humor wins out. I think that was the story, it was probably just more lavish when I thought it up yesterday. This commentary is falling apart faster than the store-brand paper towels in the Bounty commercials after they put a bowling ball on them and drag them across a Kool-Aid soaked carpet.
Hey! Remember when I mentioned a brilliant idea? Here it is. Rifle grenades are grenades fired from a rifle. That's not the brilliant part, though it is brilliant in its own right. You see, you take a grenade and affix it to the end of a rifle, then it launches the grenade, I don't know the mechanics, I suppose there is some special blank-type round that is used, otherwise the bullet would shoot through the grenade and you'd have a big mess on your hands, though you might not have any hands. However it works, I know you attach a grenade on the barrel of a rifle and it launches the grenade further than you could throw it. Here's my idea, take a simple firecracker and jam it in the barrel of a BB gun. Pump that sucker up and light the fuse then BAM! You launch the firecracker high in the air and it pops. Its a low (very low) explosive grenade. If it works you could get a firecracker a lot further away than if you didn't have the rifle. I don't know if air would be able to launch the firecracker sufficiently. You'd have to have a lot of air pressure and a tight seal around the firecracker. Perhaps a better process would be to fire a BB. The BB would propel the firecracker. Perhaps the BB would even lodge itself in the firecracker and both would be launched. Upon explosion the BB would be shot off again, sort of like a fragmentation grenade. I haven't tried this at home yet, so I don't know. The dangers I foresee are that the BB splits the firecracker at the end of the barrel and causes it to pop before it leaves the barrel. Or, the firecracker stops the BB and just pops in the barrel. I don't think that it would damage the rifle, but it is possible that it would. The third danger I see is that the BB lodges in the firecracker as hoped for, but when it fragments in the air, the BB comes shooting back at you at a moderate speed and might leave a small red mark on your forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment