Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day

I would have put an exclamation point on that title if the snow day was given to me, but I had to take it. Every school in a 100 mile radius, possibly further out that that, but I'm being conservative in my claim, has been closed. Not just closed, but closed yesterday evening in advance of the storm. Prior to the snow even falling they were all closed. Why? Because the weather people are telling us that we will be getting about 12 inches of snow over the next 12 hours. I have the local news on right now and they just announced that the mall is closing.
Yet I had to take the snow day. I'm not concerned over the loss of pay, but the loss of common sense. I know, I know, "there he goes complaining again," and you are correct, but in my defense my complaints usually are logical and humorous. That must count for something? Tell me honestly that you don't think my observations that sound like complaints are more entertaining than the complaints from most people. I don't think you can do that.
The road conditions are expected to be miserable today. That's the point of all of this. I found the emergency closure notification service for my employer online this morning when I got up. I will now retype the message that I read, interjected with my interpretations that they don't actually say. I'm going to read between the lines:
---
Bad Weather but Regularly Scheduled Hours
Wednesday February 2, 2011, 4:45am
At this time - although many of our employees live 50 or more miles away from the office they work in, and get to work before 7am, meaning they have already begun their treacherous drive over dirt roads and secondary highways - weather conditions do not warrant the delayed opening of state offices, or a reduced workforce. At the moment it seems fine, we choose to ignore the forecast and expert predictions for the quality of travel when you will be driving home. That's on your time, not ours.
Employees are encouraged to exercise caution - not common sense - when traveling to work. The weather experts who issued the severe weather warning might be recommending emergency travel only, but that's just "the experts." All state offices are open for business during regularly scheduled hours.
Agencies and departments, subject to their operating needs, may wish to authorize employees to report to work late, or leave early to better accommodate travel, using their own leave time. As long as we don't have to pay for it, and their jobs get done, and we don't have to make a decision, do what you want.
---
I just think it is ridiculous. Whether it is stubborn Vermont pride that says "it snows all the time, so what? I'll drive on it, if you don't want to drive on it you are weak and scared of life," or perhaps a simple lapse in seeing consequences of actions, people are dropping the ball on this one. I despise pride in all of its forms, especially in myself. If some people want to have confidence in their abilities and not be worried about snow, that's fine, but don't try to use it as a judgment of others, and don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. We had less than 3 inches yesterday, but it came late in the afternoon and made the evening commute a bit rough. It wasn't a big deal in most places, but there were two weather related traffic accidents that resulted in loss of life. Overconfidence is sometimes a problem, perhaps always a problem.
I think in this case it is more about an inability to see the end result. I think the people in charge of calling for cancellations are looking out the window and thinking it is fine to drive in. If there wasn't a forecast calling for another 12 inches of snow in the next 12 hours I might feel the same. I have 4 wheel drive and studded snow tires on my truck. I could handle the 3 or so inches that are on my un-plowed (I hear the plow passing by as I type this) dirt road, but it isn't about what is out there right now. When I leave for work I have to eventually return home. With this situation and in all aspects of life it is important to try to visualize the outcome of action. I don't always do that, such as when I buy a 2 pound bag of gummy bears, dump them in a bucket, and make a considerable dent in the candy level throughout the course of one day. I probably didn't eat a full pound yesterday, but I could have.
Having the ability to look at the immediate situation and see how things could turn out as a result is an important ability to have. It will keep you safe, alive, and happy. I think it could have been employed today. Of course, every person has this same responsibility, and they don't need to wait for their employer to tell them what is or isn't safe. I'm staying home today because I think it is the safe thing to do. If other people feel that way, but go to work anyway, well... But that's why it would be nice for the employer to say stay home, because some people will feel a loyalty or some sense of dedication to their job and they will go to work. If the business is open the employee will go in, ignoring their own safety and well being. It may seem noble, but unless your work is keeping people alive (emergency medical and law enforcement) or putting out fires or maintaining power lines or cleaning roads, your job can probably wait until tomorrow.
But what do I know? I know that work isn't the purpose of life. I know that we need to break free from routines and live with purpose. I say I know this because these things make sense to me and help me feel happy and productive. It is a subjective knowledge, but I think it has objective application. Someone on the news just said "we are stand-bying..." I lost my focus on what I was saying.
Come on People! Lots of snow, stay home. Be prepared. They did a report from a hardware store that said they had a run on snow removal tools yesterday and expect more shoppers today. It is Vermont, it snows a lot. You are going to wait until February, in the middle of a huge snow storm, to buy a shovel? This is the missing forethought I am speaking of. I just don't understand how people can't think ahead of the moment they are living in. I hope I'm not like that. But that makes an interesting thought. A few months ago I did a post that alluded to the fact that I think too far ahead sometimes and in my end result focus I miss out on some of the steps needed in the immediate moment in order to obtain that end result. I guess I'm just too end result focused. Maybe it is just a matter of what works well for you as an individual. I guess at the end of today I will be safe from not driving in terrible snowy conditions, but I'll be out a few dollars for not going to work. Others will have the money from going to work, but may be out a lot of time due to slow driving in hazardous conditions, perhaps they will be injured. I am near-sighted with my eyes, perhaps I'm far-sighted with my outlook on life.
I've got a few other things I've been wanting to type up recently, perhaps I'll make today a day of blogging. If you are in the blizzard-belt, stay safe and warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment