Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Here's a Story I Forgot to Write a Few Weeks Ago

It was 3 Mondays ago, if I remember correctly. I was with some friends on an excursion. Prior to reaching our intended destination we stopped at K-Mart. First of all, I didn't even know they had K-Mart anymore. I thought Wal was the only place to Mart these days. I was wrong. K-Mart existed for all of our marting needs. Secondly, I had no marting needs that night. Or did I?
One of my friends wanted something specific, he was the driver, so we stopped at the store. He went off to find what he was looking for, while the other three of us meandered in another direction looking to kill some time. It wasn't long before a store employee approached us. I was fully expecting him to ask if he could help us. He threw me off by asking if we could help him. I was flabergasted, and I don't use that word loosely, as you can tell by the misspelling. I think it is a ridiculous word.

He had some sort of rewards card or something in his hand. He asked if we had a minute to help him out with something. Flustered by an out of the ordinary social experience (he was supposed to offer help, not request it, I still can't get over this), I told the young chap that we were just there with a friend and none of us had any intent to purchase anything and finally, none of us lived in the area, we were on an excursion and about 40 miles from home. Granted, that isn't a far distance, but it is when you are talking about making frequent trips to K-Mart.

He was appeased by the dump of unnecessary information I gave him and he said thank you and continued on his minimum-wage way. That's not a dig against his job, just an observation that tries to add some flair to my story. I know, it's not funny if you have to explain it, but I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me.

I was slightly shaken up by the experience and remarked as much to my companions. And then we turned the corner onto the candy aisle. I didn't have any plans for purchasing, I wasn't looking, but it found me, a two pound bag of gummy bears. Four dollars, U.S. I picked it up. Then I looked at the weights and exercise equipment. They had a shake weight, which I have mentioned to my BFF Muffin Man that I thought I'd get one and be ripped like the guy in the commercial. I know it won't happen, but commercials work on me. Anyway, I left the weights, gummy bears in hand, and rejoined my friends.

We browsed some more and I commented on how K-Mart wasn't much different than Wal-Mart. I think they just have brighter lights in Wal-Mart. We collected our driving friend and made our way to the checkout. At this point I was feeling bad for lying to the kid who asked if we could help him. I did say that we weren't planning on buying anything, but I think we all ended up making some form of impulse buy. He was at one of the two registers in operation, but I didn't want to wait in line. I went to the open register. I didn't apologize to the kid for lying to him. Albeit an unintentional lie, so I suppose it wasn't a lie, but I still wanted to apologize. Instead I just bought my gummy bears, read the nutritional content, and calculated how many gummy bears I'd need to eat to get a good dose of protein for a day. To which I added the thought of getting the shake weight and bulking up in the muscle department. The muscle department of my body, not the store. You might have been thinking that because of the way I worded that thought. My exercise routine would be to eat the gummy bears while shaking the shake weight. Recipe for success.

Well, I'm glad I got this story down, rushed as it has been. I think it is only my third post of the month, I'm falling behind some imaginary schedule that I never made to write more often than that. This month is significant for being one year since I started this blog. Who would have thought I'd be as consistent with it as I have been? Not me, but I'm happy about it now. I think my first post was on the 25th last year, so there are still a few days until the anniversary, that means there is still time for you to send me cards and gifts. I think the first anniversary for blog writers is the silver anniversary. Its different than marriage. So send me silver. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment