Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, May 20, 2010

It is Raining; I am Sweet Like Sugar. Class is Cancelled.

It is raining steadily, therefore I do not want to walk all the way to the building wherein my classes take place today. It is roughly seven tenths of a mile to walk, that's a lot of wet that I would be by the time I get there. I don't have an umbrella. My coat is waterproof and does a great job of keeping my upper-half dry, but I've done this walk before, and my pants are soaked through. If it were fifteen or twenty degrees warmer, it might be pleasant, but as it is, no thank you. Besides, this is my last semester, and it is college. TV always shows college students avoiding class and then just going in to fail the final. Today, unless the rain stops in the next 40 minutes, I will live up to the TV role of a college student and skip class. I haven't missed a class for at least the last two semesters. I won't feel bad about not going to class.
And it is raining, and I love rain like this, so I'm just going to enjoy it. I'll set by the open window and read for a while, then play some guitar, maybe write a song about rain. I'm finishing up a book called Chief: My Life in the LAPD, an autobiography of sorts by Daryl Gates, the late, former chief of police in Los Angeles. I read a little bit about him in a class when researching influential people in policing. Gates created the first SWAT (special weapons and tactics) program as well as inventing DARE (drug abuse resistance education). Sadly, when Gates died not too long ago the news articles focused on the controversy associated with some things he had said that were taken out of context or blown out of proportion. As a conservative police officer, the liberal LA Times and other local government factions were constantly trying to hang him out to dry. As I was discussing Gates with one of my mentors/professors, he let me borrow the book. I think it is always best to get someone's story from that someone who the story is about. It still includes bias, but you read their side and then another side and look at what motivation each side might have for being biased and somehow you boil down to the real story, or as close as you can get to it. Chief is a good read and I think Daryl Gates is a man deserving of respect.
I can't tell if the rain is letting up or not. I think it is. I suppose I'll go to class. I still have twenty minutes before I need to start walking though, and it is rather windy...

No comments:

Post a Comment