Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year's Resolutions Are a Thing of the Past

Check it: why bother making resolutions you know you won't follow through with? How about just reviewing the things you did accomplish in the previous year. I will explain further. When you decide to do something, i.e. set a goal/resolution, you feel badly if you don't succeed. How do you feel when you do accomplish something? Goodly. That's right. Rather than start your year off with a list of things that you can't possibly accomplish, only to be continuously deflated every time you think about all the things you aren't accomplishing...I'm using an ellipsis to interrupt my improperly structured sentence...make a list of all of the things you did well in the last year and celebrate your accomplishments. Instead of periodically reviewing your goals throughout the year, review your past accomplishments. You will be happy and have more motivation because you are seeing your successes rather than your failures. Your new confidence will make you do more, essentially meeting all of the goals you would have set had you set any goals.
This is all just theory, of course. I just came up with it in the course of typing. It sounds pretty sound though. I expect that if you were to really follow through with this theoretical process you would have a noticeable difference in the coming year. If anyone is interested in conducting a psychological study on motivation, comment me and maybe we can hash out a plan. I don't want to do the study, but it would be an easy one for someone to do. It just takes time. Maybe it wouldn't be so easy, I don't know. Figure it out. Track some people who don't set resolutions or review accomplishments, some who do set resolutions, and some who do the past accomplishment thing. I don't know how to gauge the results though. Some type of scales or something about self-worth feelings.
When it comes right down to it, I don't set resolutions because I'm not big on making lists and reviewing them, so really, I'm not going to make a list of things I've done and look back on it. Even though I won't be doing it, I think it would be a more beneficial act to monitor accomplishments rather than to set unobtainable goals. That being said, if your resolutions are obtainable, good luck to you in your life.
I'm trying to sync my contact list from my old cell phone with the new cell phone I just activated. It doesn't seem to be working. I guess I won't be calling anyone ever again. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment