Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Soundtrack for 2010

The following list of ten songs is comprised of the most listened to songs (with accompanying music videos) for the year 2010, according to me. I am not making a list of the top songs of the year, according to music charts, YouTube views or any opinion other than mine. These songs are the top ten for me for this year. They aren’t even all from this year, so within the music industry or television entertainment industry many of the songs wouldn’t be eligible for such a title as “top of 2010.” I do not discriminate and subjugate songs, however, so I look beyond the year of copyright and release in order to find music I like. Although, many of these songs I did not have to look for; rather, I was found by them, via Muffin Man sending Facebook messages about them.

This is a top ten list, of sorts, but it has no other condition for acceptance to the list than that I am choosing it right now as I recollect the last twelve months in my music listening habits. As far as being a soundtrack to my year, it really isn’t. A soundtrack, if I were to define it (which I am in the process of doing) , would be a collection of music that correlates to the feelings and experiences of a person or group at any given moment. Somewhat like a score and somewhat like a musical narrative. I don’t know that any of the songs on this list will fit that definition, but I’ll still call it a soundtrack.

These songs are not tied to any one specific moment in the year. I don’t think any of them are tied to feelings I had about a situation or a person. I might suggest that the real soundtrack to my life, if one were to be had, would be the collection of the songs that I have personally written. Unfortunately, I haven’t written any songs this year. The ones I’ve been playing and working on were written last fall, possibly the last time I had any real inspiration for writing songs. I may have written a song or two, early in 2010, but I don’t recall at the moment. Regardless of whether I’ve written songs this year or not, none of them are recorded, and none of them have professionally produced music videos to go with them.

So here are ten songs that I listened to a lot, with or without music videos. But because this is a blog and you want to be visually entertained as well, I'm going to create a YouTube playlist to share with you. I could try to embed each video, but I don't know if this page will allow for that many embed codes. I could also include links for every song, but that would take a long time for both of us. I think the best option is a playlist, if I can figure out how to get one in here. We’ll see.
I did it! here is the embed code:

If you prefer, here is url link to the playlist, gives you more viewing freedom than watching the 17 videos here - http://www.youtube.com/user/ajaxmusic#grid/user/B702AE923A915AFC

And here is a list of the songs, in no particular order (you will also notice there are more than ten, I got carried away)…

Brick by Boring Brick – Paramore
I Can’t Give You What I Haven’t Got – The Living End
Winter Winds – Mumford and Sons
I and Love and You – The Avett Brothers
Uprising – Muse
Justified – The Graduate
Great Expectations – The Gaslight Anthem
At Your Funeral – Saves the Day
Degausser (live/acoustic) – Brand New
Carry On – Bayside
Ignorance - Paramore
Playing God – Paramore
Bella Donna – The Avett Brothers
The Cave – Mumford and Sons
The Ghost of St Valentine – Bayside
Pull Me In (live, can't find a studio version) – The Graduate
Luca – Brand New

Luca is a good one to listen to with the lights off and you just sit quietly and enjoy it. Really focusing in on Jesse's voice. It is the most important instrument in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment