Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Am Really Very Tired Right Now

Inexplicably tired. At least to me. No, that doesn't make it make more sense. Whatever, I've got something else to mention.
This one is for all of the cooks and confectioners out there. I'm wondering what the difference is between fudge and chocolate that has been sitting out in a car on a hot day. Is there any difference? I eat chocolate and then I eat fudge and I think, 'fudge is the same as chocolate, just softer, like it has been in a hot car.' Granted there is a slight taste difference, but there is a taste difference between different brands of chocolate as well. Nestle is no good, but Hershey is. Then there are the obvious taste discrepancies between dark and milk chocolate. So it seems to me that fudge could just be a meltier version of chocolate and the taste difference is nothing more than brand specific recipe.
Okay, so I do know that fudge is made differently than a Hershey's chocolate bar, but the idea just hit me a few days ago when I was eating fudge and I had a Homer Simpson moment: "You know, Marge, mud is nothing more than wet dirt." Only replace Marge's name with my name and mud with fudge and wet dirt with melty-soft chocolate.
Speaking of melty chocolate, have I ever told you about the time I put chocolate chips into oatmeal? I like oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips in them, so I figured I'd like oatmeal with chocolate chips in it. Up until the moment I saw the chips melting into the steaming hot bowl of goo I honestly thought that they would retain their shape. I imagined a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and chocolate chips dispersed throughout. It never occurred to me that the steaming hot oatmeal would instantly melt the morsels of chocolate. Let me tell you, the melting was pretty much instantaneous. What resulted was an ugly color of brownish gray swirls in the bowl. And as they were semi-sweet chips, the resulting mess was not a sweet treat. Thankfully there is granulated sugar to fix any and all oatmeal related problems.
The whole event was a failure, but I am now smarter than I was. When experiences expand your thought and capability can they really be considered failures? I suppose so. In this case it is still a failure, the chocolate melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment