Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Monday, October 11, 2010

Unemployed is a State of Mind

Last week I decided to make an official declaration in the revolution: I am no longer unemployed. I don't have a job, exactly, but I am not unemployed. I am constantly employed by various activities. Unemployment in the job market is a problem, as it means people aren't able to financially support their families, but no one should ever be wholly unemployed. There is always work to do. Being unemployed is a choice that needs to be made by the person being unemployed. I've been unemployed financially for a few months, and I've decided that I'm not going to be anymore. If that doesn't make any sense, don't worry, this won't either.
In order to reconcile my unemployment, I've decided to call myself a writer. If people ask what I do for work, I will reply that I am a writer. Technically speaking, I am a writer, but so are you, anyone who knows how to draw symbols for the purpose of communication is a writer. Purposefully speaking I am also a writer, because I write things, like this blog. Financially speaking is the way of speaking which I need to incorporate into my being a writer.
I am trying to get the financial aspect incorporated through a web page called Helium. I've spent a week participating in the Helium community and I have earned 19 cents. Not a living, by far, but it is a start. The program works with your participation in two tasks: writing articles and rating articles. It is a community operated business, a co-op. All of the people associated with Helium write articles, on thousands of titles across hundreds of topics. Some of the writers are professionals, some are enthusiasts, and I imagine many are like me, nobodies. I don't have any specialty, I am not an expert on anything, yet I am writing articles that are used to answer peoples questions when they do a web-search. I suppose. I think that's how it works. All I know is that I can write articles about anything I can think of, and if those articles are good enough, I get a few pennies for them every month representing revenue sharing with the web site. For me, it is an enjoyable hobby. I don't expect to be able to earn a living with Helium, but getting paid to write is one of the career choices I had around the age of 12, and to see it come to completion now, even for a simple 19 pennies, is fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment