Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Quote of the Day

The whole point of getting things done is knowing what to leave undone. - Oswald Chambers

I don't get it. That might come as a surprise to some of you, but I don't get a lot of abstract quotes. I don't know what makes a saying quotable. I assume it has to do with universal generalizability of the wisdom being shared, but then quotes like this one sneak by. The "point of getting things done," meaning, the end result of doing things, "is knowing what to leave undone." Why would I do things just for the sake of knowing what not to do? It plain doesn't make sense. I do things to get them done, not to know what not to do. I didn't go to school to learn what I didn't learn, I went to learn what I did learn. What do you think this quote means? Let me know. I'm lost on it.

2 comments:

  1. Good, Better, and Best!

    We do so much crap in our lives. It's discovering what is most important which are the things that need to get done. By that I don't mean that you ONLY do church functions or ONLY work or ONLY spend time with your family. It's balance and focus on a few best things instead of everything all at once.

    I'm currently learning this the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so if I understand it, since there isn't enough time to do everything you prioritize and do what you can. Whatever might be left over after that gets dropped into the unimportant category? Whatever, I just do what I do and don't worry about what's most imnportant and what's less important. If the guy wouldn't make confusing quotes like this he could have gotten a lot more done. Just follow the Tao.

    ReplyDelete