Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New Gap Logo Uproar: Are People Really This Stupid?

Apparently Gap decided to change their logo and not tell anyone. Okay. Now all the people talking on the Internet are feeling left out, or something. The buzz is that Gap made the change and didn't give sufficient warning to the public, also, the change was too dramatic and quick. I'm really not sure about the need for public warning, this wasn't a fire drill, they changed the way they write their name on their clothing labels. Why is that anyone's business but their own? I just don't get it. What I do get is that the change was extremely drastic and fast. There wasn't any working up to the change. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the logo here, copyright stuff or whatever, but I'm not trying to "dis" on the Gap, so I'm just going to run with it, here are the logos:


I am borrowing this image from here, it shows the new one on the left and the old one on the right, but you probably already knew that. When looking at them side by side, all I can say is wow. What a difference. Seriously (not). I can't believe how brash the Gap is with this change, didn't they think about the children...the children who loved the old logo and depended on it as a rock of stability in this uncertain time we live in?! O, Gap! Your new logo looks like a high school graphic design class assignment! (I've never bought from you before, but) I'll never buy from you again! You spurned my loyalty (is what I might say if I was as insane as all of the people who are offended by this change, and if I had ever been loyalty to them before, there's that to consider, too)! I can never trust you again. If I buy a pair of pants from you, how can I be sure that tomorrow they will not be all different, like, have another different presentation of your name on the label. Your clothing, which is the real product, hasn't changed a bit, but the appearance of the name on the label, which will remain hidden inside the waist line, has changed, albeit only slightly. And you never consulted me. Didn't you know I'm entitled?
Well, my friends, what you have just read is an example of satire. The human folly I have derided with my wit (I just defined the word satire, based on the definition given by the American Heritage® Dictionary) is that of the people all over the web who have complained about the Gap logo. I don't see how it falls to anyone to complain about a business changing their logo. I'd understand if their product was changed, but I don't see how it is. If you do, let me know. I guess none of it really matters because after a few days of criticism, Gap folded under the pressure and reverted to the original logo. Which leads me to the real meat of this posting: CONSPIRACY THEORY!
Gap is smarter than everyone who complained about this change. Why didn't they tell you about it? Why didn't they do sufficient focus group marketing research? Because this was the marketing campaign! They used you, chump! Gap was broke (just like the old Black Power Ranger actor, Zach Taylor, who I just saw on a banking commercial) so they decided to stir up some business-by-controversy (a trick they learned from the government, zing!) and made some stupid looking logo during a lunch break, plastered it on the web and the whole thing was done in five minutes, for no cost. They left the rest to you. Do you realize how much free advertising Gap just got? To sum it up: Gap was broke, they made a small change to their website, people with nothing better to be concerned with and who like to complain lit up the web forums and comment boxes with criticism, Gap "gave in" to popular consent and now Gap has a boost in store visits because they fixed their mistake and followed the voice of the people.
Okay, I don't know if my conspiracy theory plays out. But if this was planned, it was a genius bit of marketing. My final thought is directed to the haters of the short-lived new Gap logo, that thought is this: YOU GOT PUNKED!

No comments:

Post a Comment