Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Listen up

I had a new comedy bit to run by you tonight, but I think I will save that for tomorrow. As I was eating and watching the news a new topic came up. The news said that the tragedy in Tucson, AZ (the recent shooting, in case you haven't seen the theatrical headlines and graphics the news channels are using) is tugging at the heart-strings of America. Don't think me unsympathetic for the loss of life, but why is this tragedy so much more of a tragedy than any other tragedy?
Without having any statistics in front of me I can't say for sure, but I would expect that considerably more people have been murdered since the shooting in Tucson, but without national media attention. What makes the thoughtless taking of life on the streets or in the homes of anywhere else in America (or the world) any less tragic? Why does the president roll out a formal memorial service (which is televised and sells advertising time) for this multiple homicide, but not for any of the others?
Perhaps you can say that when these occasional presidential memorials are held they embody the reverence, respect, and sympathy combined for all such shootings. Perhaps you could say that. But I wouldn't believe it. What frustrates me is the sensationalization of this event. People are murdered everyday. People die while doing their jobs because of accident or careless actions of others. Their lives don't warrant national attention though because they are not elected officials. There, I said it.
I understand that the national news can't report on every tragedy that befalls the citizens of this country, but I would like it if they didn't make it seem like only the elected officials who are killed matter. The root of my complaining is that it seems like elected officials are treated like royalty. I don't know when the schism occurred, but it needs to be reversed. People are elected to represent the people, not themselves. They are not elected for their ideals or agendas, but for their ability to represent the people. They are no different than you or me. We are all in this together and one of us is not intrinsically better than another.
It is sad when people are killed, if you want to say it is especially sad when children are killed, I will allow that. Why is it a tragedy in Tucson? Because people were killed. For that same reason it is a tragedy in many cities and towns across the country every day. Don't lose focus. I guess that is the message of this, if there is a message, don't lose focus. All people have great worth, elected or not.

1 comment:

  1. "Sensationalization," I like. It is super long and fun to say. I'll tell Webster to write it up and submit it in the upcoming edition. Next, Elected officials are different from you and me. You see, they are from the "elite" class. Silly goose. Breed to rein, oops, lead. Yeah, I meant lead. Slip of the fingers.

    ReplyDelete