Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Science: The Great "Distractor"

I have nothing against science so far as it is the empirical gathering of evidence in attempts to better understand the world around us. I do take issue with science becoming a "distractor" from living life. I suppose it is just my personal bias that makes me think this way. I just feel like there is a tendency for some people to focus so much on what science says that they miss the purpose for life. They spend their lives worrying about asteroids they see on telescopes millions of miles from the earth, or melting ice. These things may be real dangers, but is there really anything we can do about them?

In regards to global climate change, I personally don't believe the people are big enough to destroy the planet. It might be possible, but I don't believe it. I think that God created this planet for a specific purpose, which is to give his children (all people) experience, and that purpose won't be defeated by people. Part of our experience is to learn and make decisions and act as agents according to our own will. It is this freedom to act that makes me leery of saying it is impossible for us to destroy the earth. I don't think it will ever happen, but if we have complete freedom to act then we must have some ability to do it. I do think there is a degree of arrogance in thinking that we are going to destroy the planet because of our actions.

However, we are responsible for the earth. If we act recklessly and waste things ungratefully then we will destroy ourselves, but not in the way of climate control. We are stewards of the planet. Animals included. Other people included. We need to look at why we are alive and how we fit in with the environment, animals and other people. We do have the power to destroy, but we also have the power to build and encourage.

Don't be distracted by the stuff. I know I need to make some changes. There is a lot of focus on 2012 and whether or not ancient prophecies about the end of the world are accurate. I don't know. It might be. I'm not going to focus on it, but I think that perhaps 2012 can have an amazing impact on the lives of everyone on the planet. If we choose for it to be. Rather than focus on the doomsday theories, we can all look at our lives and make the necessary adjustments. 2012 could be life changing for the global population. Hopefully it will be for the better. It starts with each of us individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment