Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Knowledge and Wisdom, All Summed up in a Blog

My friend Christal (http://christalcollette.blogspot.com/) invited me to discuss the difference between wisdom and knowledge. I quickly thought of this statement: Knowledge is knowing what to say, wisdom is knowing when it is appropriate to say it. I think that sounds pretty impressive; if I were to follow my own sage-ness, I'd stop typing right now. It looks like I am still working on that wisdom portion. I just want to explain that this quote sounds so good to me that I am debating whether or not I could have phrased it on my own. A quick Internet search reveals that the idea has been expressed in various forms many times before. Oh well. You can still quote me on this incarnation if you'd like. I typed it into the search bar and nothing came up verbatim. So now I call it as my own verbatim. That's right.
Since I'm rambling, I will expound upon my quote. No, I will give an example. Those are fun. Imagine Captain America. He is about to thwart an evil dictator from some foreign country, and when I say thwart, I mean thwart! I don't know what that means. Wait! I need to reset my scenario. This is what you get when you type at your thinking speed. OK. We'll keep Captain America and the dictator as our protagonist and antagonist, respectively, but we'll turn the tables on the good Captain. In the James Bond-cliche-style, the evil dictator has Captain America strapped to a table which is about to be blasted with a laser and dumped into a volcano. As the hero struggles to free himself, he tells the dictator that he will never get away with his ultimate plan. Captain America coaxes the dictator to reveal his smarmy plan to enslave the human race. If the dictator is wise, he will not say what he knows about his plan. He has knowledge about what he plans to do: the how, where and when of it all. For his best interest, however, this is an inappropriate time to reveal that information. Wisdom would be recognizing this timing and refraining from giving up the battle plan. Luckily, Captain America is up against an evil dictator who, like the Bond-style villains, is pretty capable in getting almost to the end of an elaborate scheme, but falls apart at the end. One would think that if the wisdom is lacking in the end it would have been lacking all along the way, not the case though. I'm not here to argue the logic of spy movie writers. I'm here to give a real-life application of the difference between knowledge and wisdom. And I've done a mighty fine job I might add.
In case you were wondering, Captain America makes a last minute speech about the undying liberty in the heart of every man, woman and child in the world and how no evil dictator can put that in chains. Though their bodies may be restricted, their hearts and minds are free. One day they would rise up and overturn the evil dictator's regime. As the dictator finds himself listening intently and shaking a bit in his evil dictator boots, one of his associates, a comely lass, mixed up in the dictator's propaganda thinking she was doing something good for people, is inspired by the speech and sneaks up behind the dictator to give him a knock to the back of the head with a heavy book (camera zooms in and pauses on the title of the book: Concussions and Why You Don't Want Them). She quickly releases Captain America who does whatever it is he needs to do to stop the evil plan and get his rescuer away from the volcano. In the final scene of the movie you see the lass and the Captain parting ways at a bus stop. She's off to college to pursue micro-financing. He gets her e-mail address and promises to add her on Facebook, but you know he won't, he's Captain America! He's too busy for Facebook and comely lasses.
So there you have it. Wisdom and knowledge. Knowledge is the process and wisdom is the application. I hope that clears things up...if you were befuddled. If you were clear, I hope you are now befuddled.
THE END.

1 comment:

  1. Very good. Although I perhaps would've incorporated the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles instead.

    I also think you can coin the phrase as your own. I will quote you one day...at a pulpit...or podium.

    ReplyDelete