Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Monday, July 5, 2010

Quote of the Day

Here is another offering from the quote of the day widget. Is it called a widget? That's what they call the song player add-on, so I'll assume the quote add-on is a widget as well. Here's the quote:
Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas. - Marie Curie
I'm not sure what is being said here. Is she suggesting we spend more time with ideas than with people? If so, I don't agree with that. People are more important than ideas. If she is saying we should be less suspicious about people and more suspicious about ideas then I am on board. Since she is a scientist and I know absolutely nothing more specific about her, I'm going to suppose she was more interested in ideas than people. (If anyone knows if this isn't the case, please let me know. ) I think we should be curious about people, as the definition of the word is "eager to learn or to know" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curious, but don't go there because it takes a long time to load and is wacky, I hope this commentary doesn't make you too curious). We ought to want to learn about and know people more than ideas. I wish I did. I don't think I do all the time, but I think I'd like to. It is good to be curious about ideas, but I would place more caution on this one than on people. Let's be curious about people and suspicious about ideas. Take that Marie Curie! The quote of the day widget is nice, but there are a lot of quoted ideas that I don't agree with. Which I think is good. Opposing points of view help you to determine what you really think and feel. Maybe not you, but me, I just said you because that's how I say things.
I'm watching the Mets play the Reds right now. It is one of those tense games. The Mets were on the down side of a missed call by the umpires which led to some bad news. Directly it led to one run, which was followed by five more. There is no way to know whether or not those runs would have been scored had the play in question been made correctly, but psychologically you know it takes a toll on the players. Happily the Mets came back to score five runs in the bottom half of that inning. It is currently in the bottom of the 8th and the score is 8-6, Reds. I hope the Mets come back to win it. To which I will say "Take that Marie Curie!" once again. She's probably a Reds fan.

[note: I do not have a vendetta against Marie Curie. I respect and appreciate her work in the advancing of physics and chemistry.]

No comments:

Post a Comment