Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I Write a Blog?

I suppose I do. It has been a few days since visiting it. I graduated college last Friday; which means I had my last class and hopped on a shuttle to the airport. I finished the semester with the grades I expected, A's and B's, three of each. I'm not much for formal events, so I didn't participate in any of the commencement things. Those activities are, in my opinion, more for the family than the participant so there wasn't any point of me participating as my family wouldn't have been able to go. The important thing is that I can now tell employers that I have accomplished a bachelor's degree. (If anyone knows why "bachelor" is associated with an undergraduate degree, please let me know.) The other important thing is that I am home, in Vermont. I don't think I've mentioned that before. I live in Vermont. I grew up in New Jersey, lived there until high school. I was supposed to go to NJ Monday and Tuesday of this week, but one of my brothers didn't get back from a trip to California in time. This brother is autistic, so someone needed to be here when he got back. He went to a conference for the pseudo-therapy facilitated communication. I'm a little skeptical of the therapy, but so is the APA (American Psychological Association) so I'm not the only one, although I don't know if I want to be fully associated with the APA either. They have their quirks as well.
Anyway, the purpose of going to NJ was to meet up with my other brother's family. I'll have to go seem them some other time, or wait until they come here for Christmas. My parents and two sisters who are still in VT went to NJ. They brought back pizza and Tastykake products. What used to be called Dominick's Pizza in Kendall Park is now called Vinny's Pizza. Best pizza ever. If you find yourself in the New Brunswick/Princeton area do yourself a favor and find Kendall Park, it's between Routes 1 and 27. It is on Allston Rd, just off of 27. This is the official restaurant. Vinny himself is there. We always assumed his name was Dominick, for the years and years we ate there before we moved, but my dad talked to him yesterday and found out the story. As a side note, every time any of us have been to NJ since moving we eat there and bring some back. It's only a 6 hour drive, the pizza keeps well enough. Perhaps to someone living around great pizza places Vinny's isn't as good as I talk it up to be, but I've never had a better slice anywhere I've ever been. There isn't a good pizza place in VT. Vinny makes a good pie. Had I a hat it would be off to him. Also try the number 3 cold sub. Best ever.
Tastykake is the second NJ nostalgia item we miss. Like Hostess and Little Debbie, Tastykake is a snack cake company. My favorite are the Butterscotch Krimpets, just like Maniac Magee (how's that for a blast from the past? Do you remember 6th grade?). I went to the Tastykake web page and got distracted. I guess that's all there is to say there.
Now to think up something profound. I have nothing. I will make a literary allusion instead. Gerald O'Hara told Scarlett that she got her strength from Tara (the name of their plantation). The red earth of Tara, as Ashley says it. The closing scene of the story has Scarlett realizing she does gain strength from Tara and wants to go home. Today I went outside to trim up some dead branches on a tree in the yard. I think I get strength from the green covered earth of Vermont. Something about the green and the humidity makes me happy to be working outside. Eventually I am going to need to find a job, but for now I'll be happy cutting trees and digging up rocks and whatever else I can find to do outside. I'll gain some strength from the green covered earth of Vermont. That doesn't sound as good, perhaps I'll name our yard Tara.

2 comments:

  1. Bigger and Better still. Have fun getting that job and becoming a useful member of society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to being a useful member of society. I used to be one before I decided to go to college. As I was looking at job listings last night I began to wonder if it was a bad idea to leave a solid full-time job in order to go to school. I'm still wondering. I probably will wonder until I find a job where I make at least as much as I made before. Unfortunately the various types of human services jobs that interest me don't usually pay as well as my old entry-level paper-scanning job. It is amazing. Thanks for reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete