Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Saturday, October 29, 2011

You only live once, right?

A few months ago I read a web news article about sitting in a chair all day at work. It said that people who sit for long periods of time in a chair have the potential for their pelvis to shift in their body, making their belly protrude and giving the appearance of being five months pregnant. I was sitting in a chair at the time, and probably had been sitting down for several hours straight. The article suggested standing up regularly and walking around so that you don’t train the muscles or joints or tendons or whatever it was to get used to the seated position. I don’t know the science behind these claims, but I don’t want my pelvis to move and make me look pregnant, so I try to move around a bit at work.

Yesterday I ended up kneeling at the computer as part of my not sitting down all day effort. My supervisor asked if I had a problem with the chair, so I explained my paranoia about making my midsection shift. A coworker then said “You only live once, right? Might as well be comfortable.” I agreed, but didn’t stop thinking about the comment there. We often hear the question “You only live once, right?” but then the reason for saying it is somewhat varied. I can think of several reasons why that question might be asked. In the interest of doing something different, I have made a survey in order to find out how other people think about this question and how that might correlate with some other ideas.

If you want to take the survey, please click the link below. If you don't want to take the survey, please do not click the link below. I don't expect the survey to cause you any damage, but in the interest of insuring informed content I will say that by clicking this link you are absorbing and responsibility for damage which may or may not be incurred by you through the process of taking the survey. This disclaimer is standard fair for official surveys as part of psychologcial research. Those real studies have to be reviewed by an institutional review board. Luckily, I'm just a guy with a blog, so I don't think I have to follow those rules, but just to be sure, I'm putting the informed consent disclaimer in. So, complete the survey at your own risk, but if you do, and perhaps share this with your friends, then maybe I'll collect some neat data that I can analyze and make up some wild claims and accusations with and write a fun blog post about. Thank you.

Click here to take survey

No comments:

Post a Comment