Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Whimsical Revolution on Amazon's Kindle

I've done it! After a spontaneous search of the Internet to find out how to create an e-book to sell for the Kindle, I have published my blog to Kindle. In one sense I have failed miserably, as my intent when my search began was not to publish anything, especially not my blog. Then on the other hand, it is a complete success because I did something productive. Whether or not anyone will pay the $1.99 per month to have this blog mysteriously loaded onto their Kindle is up in the air, but this action about money, no sir, it was a sleep-deprived, impulse sale.

People always talk about impulse buys, so why not impulse sales? I'm sure it happens more than people are aware of. Why do impulse buys occur? It happens because someone is bored or depressed or manic and they have lost some of their impulse control. It happens to me all the time.

A week or so ago I had a phone conversation with someone about a job that I had been hoping for (have I ever mentioned that I count my chickens before they hatch, and keep all of the eggs in one basket, you know, for safe keeping... have I mentioned that?) and it turned out I didn't meet the expected education/experience requirements. It wasn't a major surprise that I wasn't the one for the job, that's the story of my post-college, job-applying life of the last 12 months. Really, not a big deal, but I was at the grocery store later that afternoon for a legitimate purchasing reason and walked out with approximately $9.00 worth of candy (meaning I spent $9.00 on candy, if I were to place value on the amount of candy I got it would be far less). It was an impulse buy directly related to my emotions of the day. It is easy to see how it could have been a sale that was made, that is, if I had anything worth selling and a venue to sell it through.

Well, I guess I do have a product worth selling, and when I happened to stumble on a venue through which to sell it, and my impulse control was wonky based on my job-induced boredom, the time was right to impulse-sell. Have you noticed how many times I am using hyphens? I noticed it. And if you head on over to the Amazon Kindle store, you will see my very own blog for subscription.

Sure, you are wondering why you’d want to pay two dollars per month to read the very same material you are reading right now for free. Yes, that was the end of that sentence, it might have seemed like a “but” ought to have come up and then I tell you why you do want to, but the truth is, there isn’t any good reason for it. Maybe there is one reason, and that reason would be so that you can take the Whimsical Revolution with you wherever you go. But honestly, there’s the “but,” I don’t think it is necessary. Don’t let me talk you out of it, however. If you want to be able to get this blog updated to your e-reading device every day, please do.

I subscribed for the 14 day free trial. It is really cool to see my blog on my Kindle, but not $1.99 per month cool. It looks good though. It is readable and brings in the last 25 posts for viewing. There is at least one post in that span that includes an embedded video from YouTube, obviously you miss out on that kind of stuff with the Kindle version. Overall, I am pleased with having it on my Kindle, but like I said, I’m not paying for it. I wrote it all! I do like to read my blog, and I often go back and read through old posts, I’m just not going to pay for it.

One final point to mention, I am going to try to be more disciplined in my blog posting habits. If you look at the archive links on the right-hand side you will notice that some months I’m posting more than once per day (okay, only one month, March 2010) and other months I’m posting only a single time (again, only once, July 2011). So now I will be posting on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week, at minimum, but probably that will be enough. This means 12 posts per month, give or take, depending on how the days fall within a month. This also means that I will be typing posts well ahead of the time I publish them, in some cases. This might improve the readability of them as I hopefully won’t get so distracted and head off on so many tangents, but no promises.

I hope you enjoy the new regulated scheduling of this blog and continue to read it. Feel free to share it with everyone. If you have a Kindle or other compatible e-reader and would like to have the freedom of reading this blog anywhere at any time, go get a free trial subscription and see how it treats you. I won’t regret it. Yes, that’s what I meant.




No comments:

Post a Comment