Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

This and/or That

A few weeks ago I was watching something, ah yes! it was 21 Jump Street. Taylor mentioned her fascination with the old television program and I professed a personal interest in it as well. It is one of our many uniting interests. I remember one summer, perhaps in 1991, I don't know, 21 Jump Street was on every morning for two hours. My brother and I ritualistically watched the show before heading out into the yard to enjoy summer vacation. What a fantastic show.

For those of you not familiar with it, the premise of the show is a group of young looking police officers who work undercover in high schools. It might happen in real life, but never with as much cool and style as on the show. Did I mention Johnny Depp plays one of the officers? And Jerry Seinfeld's TV dad plays his training officer in the pilot episode! Gold! Mr. X from the X-Files is part of the cast as well, all around perfection. If you want a procedurally accurate police show, stay away from television, those don't exist. But if you want melodrama dripping from every bit of dialogue and every trend setting article of clothing this is your show.

The whole point of mentioning this was to tell you about an idea that an episode of 21 Jump Street gave me. It didn't actually give me the idea, I generated the idea based on something that was said on the show in conjunction with my own creativity and wit. You see, one of the characters expressed that all he wanted was to see justice done. To which my brain responded with a scene where a police officer leads a man in handcuffs to a door. On the large glass window of the door the following is stenciled "Justice Howard H. Dunn." The caption on the scene is the cuffed man saying "This isn't what I meant when I said I wanted to see justice done."

I thought it was pretty clever and humorous. But that is how I view most things I say and think. I just can't help it.

1 comment:

  1. This brings to mind an old joke:
    O'Ryan left Ireland to try his luck in the U.S. Getting on the ship he was stopped by an old woman. "I have a son in America," she said. "He lives in a little white house in Connecticut. I haven't heard from him in fifteen years. If you happen to meet him, please tell him to write to his poor old mother. His name is Dunn."
    O'Ryan landed in New York. After a few months he took the bus up to Connecticut and told the driver, "Let me off at the little white house."
    Thinking his passenger needed to relieve himself, the driver dropped him off at a park. O'Ryan spotted the attendant. "Could you be tellin' me where to find the little white house?"
    Certain he meant the men's room, the attendant said, "Go straight down this lane and turn left." Thrilled that at last he'd find Dunn, O'Ryan followed the directions. Just as he got to the little white house, a man came out.
    "You Dunn?" asked O'Ryan.
    "Yeah," said the man.
    "Then why don't you write to your poor old mother in Ireland?!"
    - Bugsy

    ReplyDelete