Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Working Seven to Seven, What a Way to Make a Livin'

I can never decide if I want this blog to be about me or about the things I think are interesting and humorous. What's the difference, you ask? If it is about me then I might as well waste some space mentioning that it has been forever since I've typed anything here. But that just seems weak and panderous (which I mean to say "playing to the lowest common denominator." I have to explain it because "pander" has some specific connotations by some definitions and that's not what I'm trying to say here at all). So rather than go on about how I haven't taken the time to "blog it up" lately, I will just jump right into a post, rather than finish the thought I started above with the question I posed.

Dolly Parton thought 9am to 5pm was a rough go at making a living. It makes for a nice song though. Honestly, I'm as surprised as you. I wouldn't have thought it would be one that I would listen to on purpose, but as I have it playing at Grooveshark currently, I'm realizing that I might. In the spirit of this song, I will now give you the run down of a typical night for me at my recently new job. Rather than one day, I will give you the highlights of the last three night's 12 hour shifts. It will be an amalgamation, primarily because I wanted to use that word, but also because at this point I can't remember what happened on what night, or at what time. My current tally is 3 hours of sleep during the last 34 hours. Hence my inability to differentiate between nightly activities.

1845 hours (that's 6:45pm): Receive the daily report from the prior shift
1900 hours: Ride along to the mall with another staff member and several residents
2100 hours: Play Risk with residents for 2 hours
2300 hours: Sit in a chair for 4 hours and read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (almost finished the book in one sitting)
0300 hours: Fill in pot-holes in the dirt driveway and parking lot with two other staff members
0500 hours: Watch America's Funniest Videos on TV
0600 hours: Empty the trash
0630 hours: Sit by the door while the next shift arrives and receives report
0650 hours: Moan about how long the last 20 minutes have gone
0700 hours: Go home, zombified and ready for sleep

What is my job title? Recovery support staff. It is an interesting job, mostly because you never know what will happen in the middle of the night as we try to keep ourselves awake. Actually, I do know what will happen, we will use someone's iPhone to watch these videos:
Mountain Top!

Crime Deterrent

Hope (my personal favorite!)

The tiredness caught up to me. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment