Ajax Thinks

Ajax Thinks
by Muffin Man

Thursday, May 12, 2011

New Job

Today I am not at work. There sometimes isn't much for me to do that I can stand doing, so I don't go. They will try to keep me busy when I ask, but I have to ask, and I don't like having to ask for work to do when I am at work. It seems to me that if they want me there and are paying me then maybe they should give me relevant activities to accomplish. Well, I'm not in charge over there, so they can do as they please, and because this job isn't my purpose in life, I will do as I please. So I am not at work today.

It is a wonderful day, in regards to the temperature outside and clearness of the sky. Gorgeous. I spent a few hours out there this morning cutting back some wild tree branches and vines that are choking the trees out. This time of year in Vermont is splendid. I wish I had a bulldozer or a wood chipper, that would make playing outside even more fun.

Taylor is working today, she is valiant in her job. I wish she weren't working so we could be doing something, but such is life. Less than 10 weeks now until the wedding. We'll have more time together then. Which brings me back to the title of this post: New Job.

I start a new job on Monday. I am looking forward to it. I will be support staff at a residential treatment home. This will be my first psychology specific job. Everything about it seems to be just what I'm looking for at this point, except for the shift. I'll be working 7pm to 7am three days a week, with a 7pm to 11pm shift on the fourth day following those three. I've never done an overnight shift before, so I hope I survive.

Regardless of the crazy shift, I think the job will be very rewarding and prepare me for the future as I pursue a degree in counseling. I look forward to getting to know various people and gaining new experience. I love to learn and I think this will be an environment that will allow that to happen. College is okay for learning, but a lot of it isn't practical. This job will provide practical learning. Depending on how things swing for the next few months, I hope to be starting a Master's degree program soon as well. I will be a learning fool. A fool for learning.

While I am hesitant with the night shift because I don't want to turn into a zombie and it will severely limit the time I have with Taylor for a little while, I keep thinking it might be helpful for blog writing. My plan right now is to switch between working nights at this new place and working days at my current job, not on the same days of course. If I am able to do this rotation, which I don't have a lot of confidence that I will (I'm tired just thinking about it), then I will be staying up Wednesday nights to try to shift back into the night wakefulness. It is then that I expect to come up with some interesting blog topics. Only time will tell. Unless you have a crystal ball that predicts the future, which you don't, because if you did you would already have answered my question last Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment